One of our most frequently asked questions is, “What essential oils are safe for babies and mothers during pregnancy?”.
And it’s an excellent question as there’s a lot of conflicting information out there.
The commercial world of baby products cashes in on our lack of a suitable measure for ‘baby-safe options’. The potential damage in exposing delicate, brand new skin to synthetic ingredients is more than a little worrying. Perhaps you’ve heard about that very ‘trusted’ baby brand recently admitting to having known carcinogens in its baby shampoo? We believe that certified organic and completely natural is the only acceptable standard for baby-safe ingredients.
With over 30 years of clinical experience in maternity and infant care, we’ve seen hundreds of babies and pregnant mothers (perhaps even thousands) with a wide range of conditions. In all those years, how many adverse reactions have we seen from essential oil-based prescriptions and usage? Not one.
But not all essential oils are created equal. 96% of the world’s essential oils are made for the fragrance and flavour industries. The remaining 4% are slowly and carefully extracted for safe medicinal and therapeutic use. These are the oils we use for our products at Absolute Essential. Amongst these, we have a dedicated mother and baby range that you can explore here.
We generally recommend only a few soft-aroma essential oils for babies as they are much more sensitive to scent than adults. Gentle dilutions are the safest option.
These are our four most popular oils for mothers and infants:
A gentle Lavender with a delicate calming aroma, plus antiseptic and skin tonic properties.
Diffuse 3-5 drops to purify the air and enhance the relaxation of mother and baby.
Add 1 drop to collar of the baby's clothes to enhance relaxation and protect them from germs. Mix 1 drop in 1/2 tsp Sweet Almond oil for nappy or skin rash.
Up to double the above dosage.
Diffuse 2-5 drops or add to 1 tblsp fatty milk (nut, grain, bean or dairy), then stir into a bath for relaxation. Therapeutic baths should not exceed 15 minutes.
- Lavender Spike
A more camphorous lavender that is still gentle enough for babies to inhale for respiratory issues.
Diffuse 3-5 drops to purify air and enhance relaxed breathing for mother and baby.
Add 1 drop to collar of the baby's clothes to protect from germs and enhance breathing.
Up to double above dosage.
Diffuse 5 drops for cold or flu or rub on chest and soles of feet.
- Chamomile Roman 3% in Jojoba
A soft-scented oil that is calming on the nervous system with gently soporific properties. This is a quality dilution in a pure carrier oil designed for safe and direct application to the skin. Not suitable for use in a diffuser.
Rub 5 drops onto soles of feet or to pulse points to enhance relaxation for sleep.
Massage 5 drops clockwise onto the stomach for colic or to the neck and cheek for teething.
Up to double above dosage.
Add 5 drops to pulse points and neck to aid sleep.
Rose 3% in Jojoba
Rose is harmonising, nurturing and a wonderful tonic for both mother and baby. This is a quality dilution in a pure carrier oil designed for safe and direct application to the skin. Not suitable for use in a diffuser.
Massage 5 drops onto the chest, stomach or soles of feet.
Massage 10 drops onto the soles of feet or 10-20 drops all over body.
Apply to the wrists and neck for a calming and balancing perfume.
Dab 3-5 drops gently under the eyes before sleep to eliminate dark circles.
Take care of yourself and your baby with naturally safe skin and health care products. Check out the world’s safest Mother & Child range.